Tuesday, August 18, 2015

He Will Convict - John 16:7-11

John 16:7-11 ESV 
Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you. And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment: concerning sin, because they do not believe in me; concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father, and you will see me no longer; concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.

Jesus must leave for the Holy Spirit to come. The Holy Spirit will convict the world. This was not the mission of Jesus. He came to save the world. 

Concerning sin - not believing in Christ leaves one in their sins. 

Concerning righteousness - no one achieves righteousness apart from Christ. He alone overcame the world and ascended into heaven. 

Concerning judgement - the ruler of this world no longer has the law to judge those in Christ, but is judged himself. 

The believer does not face condemnation. He has freed us from the dominion of sin, from self righteousness, and from judgement. Those in Christ have ascended into the kingdom of heaven with Him. It is the Holy Spirit that brings conviction and with that conviction some will be saved. 

No comments: