Sunday, September 18, 2016

Begotten - Psalms 2:7

Psalms 2:7 ESV 

I will tell of the decree:
The Lord said to me, “You are my Son;
today I have begotten you.

Psalms 2:7 NIV

I will proclaim the Lord’s decree:
He said to me, “You are my son;
today I have become your father.

You and I as believers have become children of God and He has become our Father. Jesus Christ taught us to pray addressing God as our Father in heaven. 

The Hebrew word for "begotten" in the ESV translation, "become" in the NIV, specifically means "to show lineage" according to Olivetree's Enhanced Strong's Definitions dictionary. 

This means we might all think of ourselves as begotten of God. We are born from Him through the blood of His Son Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit has overshadowed and entered our flesh and a son is born. 

There is no doubt about our lineage and no doubt of our future. 

Today is the day the Lord has made. Let us be glad and rejoice in it. 

No comments: