Sunday, January 22, 2017

Fearfully And Wonderfully - Psalms 139:13-16

Psalms 139:13-16 ESV 


For you formed my inward parts;

you knitted me together in my mother's womb.

I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.

Wonderful are your works;

my soul knows it very well.

My frame was not hidden from you,

when I was being made in secret,

intricately woven in the depths of the earth.

Your eyes saw my unformed substance;

in your book were written, every one of them,

the days that were formed for me,

when as yet there was none of them.


A person born of woman takes shape in the darkness of a woman's body and his birth brings him into the light of day. A person born from above takes shape in the darkness of the world and his birth brings him into the light of God. 


Another way to express "fearfully" might be to say reverently awesome. What He has done and is doing is so beyond our understanding that the fear of the unknown enters into our witness and consideration, even of a God who extends His mercy and love to creatures such as mankind. 


The word wonderful tries to describe, not only the work of our present existence, but is inclusive of what we are going to be. His works are wonderful and He is not finished with us yet. We are good now, but we will be very good in the end. 


We begin as an unformed substance which is transformed in the light of day, that is the light of the Lord. We become visible in His light. 


No comments: