Tuesday, February 12, 2013

There Was Silence - Revelation 8:1

Revelation 8:1
When the Lamb opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour.

When God Almighty speaks, silence is the only response. When the soldiers came to seize Jesus in the garden on that night before hanging Him from the cross, they fell to the ground when He replied, "I am he". With a word He stilled the storm and silence reigned.

It is striking that a vision outside of time should provide such a time dependent detail.

The seals have been opened and the trumpets have sounded. God has determined and spoken from His throne. Silence is the only response to His judgement and proclamation.

Be still and know.

Psalms 62:1-2
To the choirmaster:according to Jeduthun. A Psalm of David.
For God alone my soul waits in silence;
from him comes my salvation.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,
my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken.

Habakkuk 2:20
But the Lord is in his holy temple;
let all the earth keep silence before him.”

Zechariah 2:13
Be silent, all flesh, before the Lord, for he has roused himself from his holy dwelling.

Zephaniah 1:7-9
The Day of the Lord Is Near
Be silent before the Lord God!
For the day of the Lord is near;
the Lord has prepared a sacrifice
and consecrated his guests.
And on the day of the Lord's sacrifice—
“I will punish the officials and the king's sons
and all who array themselves in foreign attire.
On that day I will punish
everyone who leaps over the threshold,
and those who fill their master's house
with violence and fraud.

Exodus 14:14
The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.”

No comments: