Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Naked - Mark 14:44-50

Mark 14:44-50 ESV
Now the betrayer had given them a sign, saying, “The one I will kiss is the man. Seize him and lead him away under guard.” And when he came, he went up to him at once and said, “Rabbi!” And he kissed him. And they laid hands on him and seized him. But one of those who stood by drew his sword and struck the servant of the high priest and cut off his ear. And Jesus said to them, “Have you come out as against a robber, with swords and clubs to capture me? Day after day I was with you in the temple teaching, and you did not seize me. But let the Scriptures be fulfilled.” And they all left him and fled.

Mark 14:51-52
And a young man followed him, with nothing but a linen cloth about his body. And they seized him, but he left the linen cloth and ran away naked.

He is betrayed with a kiss. We are familiar with the betrayal this night which leads to the cross, but there is another betrayal of Jesus before us. A young man follows after Jesus as the soldiers roughly propel our Savior toward the priests.  At first slipping between shadows unnoticed. He is then spotted.. The linen cloth has significance. Linen is used in priestly robes and signify the clean robes of righteousness worn by those who follow Jesus into heaven. This young man follows Jesus, but far behind in the shadows. When confronted, he twisted out of his garments, leaving them behind.

The young man flees to hide, just as Adam hid from The Lord in the Garden. They were both naked. Both were afraid.

Notice that both Jesus and the young man are seized. The same Greek word is used in both cases. Jesus the Lamb does not resist. The young man who was a sheep among the many that were scattered at that time of the cross. We still have a tendency to avoid and run from the cross. We are prone to twist in our belief, but we have the seal of the Holy Spirit to straighten us out.

Isaiah 63:3
“ I have trodden the wine trough alone,
And from the peoples there was no man with Me.
I also trod them in My anger
And trampled them in My wrath;
And their lifeblood is sprinkled on My garments,
And I stained all My raiment.

John 16:32-33
Behold, an hour is coming, and has already come, for you to be scattered, each to his own home, and to leave Me alone; and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me. These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.”

No comments: