Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Friends

John 15:12-15 (NIV)

12My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. 14You are my friends if you do what I command. 15I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.

Who are our friends? Jesus defines His friends for us. We do not have to guess or wonder, unless you discount these words. He plainly states here that His friend follows His command. Elsewhere (John 3:36), John the Baptist tells us that those who do not believe and obey the Son shall not see life.

His friends are those who believe, and believe enough to obey.

1 comment:

Briefcase said...

A recurring theme. 1 Sam. 15:22:

But Samuel replied: "Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the LORD ? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams.