Tuesday, November 15, 2016

If Anyone Hears - John 12:47-48

John 12:47-48 ESV 


If anyone hears my words and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world. The one who rejects me and does not receive my words has a judge; the word that I have spoken will judge him on the last day.


Jesus tells us that to be judged by word, one must hear the word. Hearing encompasses the physical transmission of the word and the spiritual transmission and receiving of the word. The spiritual transmission means an understanding and obedience to the word. 


The word is not to be taken lightly. One of the Ten Commandments tells us not to take the Lord's name in vain. It is a serious and reverential matter. It is by the word that we live or die. 


The word has gone out by a merciful and just God. All things will be done according to His word. He has told us in advance so that we would know. 




No comments: