Monday, November 21, 2016

He Who Ate My Bread - John 13:18

John 13:18 ESV he who ate my bread 


I am not speaking of all of you; I know whom I have chosen. But the Scripture will be fulfilled, He who ate my bread has lifted his heel against me.’


John 13:26-27

Jesus answered, “It is he to whom I will give this morsel of bread when I have dipped it.” So when he had dipped the morsel, he gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot. Then after he had taken the morsel, Satan entered into him. Jesus said to him, “What you are going to do, do quickly.”


The heel of the Son would be bruised by the sting of the snake as prophesied in the garden account in Genesis. Once again Satan enters a creature of earth in the hope of thwarting God. Thinking he is thwarting God, Satan is actually serving the purpose of God as he helps prepare for the ultimate display the grace and love of God.


It is in the darkness that light was given and God would begin the creation of the sons of light out of that darkness. The creation process continues as the light of God is accepted and given to those who would choose to receive that light. Love finds its fulfillment through choice. 


Jesus, the bread of heaven, uses bread to signify His betrayer. The bread from heaven was dipped into the sea of man so the light could come into the hearts of man. Dipping the morsel and handing it to Judas may remind us that the bread of life is offered to all, even those He knows will ultimately betray Him. 


The bread has been given. What we do with it is up to us. Judas would leave the light of the world and reenter the night. Our choice is the same. Do we go with the light, or remain in the darkness? 

No comments: