Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Make It My Own - Philippians 3:12-16

Philippians 3:12-16 ESV 

Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you. Only let us hold true to what we have attained.

The same Greek word (τέλειος) is translated in this passage as "perfect" and "mature". 

How can Paul say he is not perfect and complete, but then say for those that are perfect and complete to think in this way?

He may be saying we are complete and perfected in Christ and are able to stand in the presence of God because we stand with Christ. The key phrase may be "I press on to make it my own". This implies he presses to become ever more like the perfect man Jesus Christ here on earth, to follow and continue live and grow into image of Jesus. We have a model before us and a journey to complete before our resurrection is consummated. What we will be we do not know, but we know we will be like Him. 

James 1:2-4

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

This is the working out or living in the new life we have been given. He made us His own. What is His has become ours. 

Steadfastness in our faith will make us perfect and bring us to perfection. 

No comments: