Friday, April 15, 2016

I Never Knew You - Matthew 7:21-23

Matthew 7:21-23 ESV

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

Someone made the observation that this could be the scariest thing said by Jesus. The idea that a person could think they have received the salvation of Jesus, do things in His name, yet not be known by Him, even called lawless, is as frightening as it is possible.

What might be missing? Could it be love? If we are without love, we have nothing in common with the love of God. It is love that calls to us. God is love. It is love that answers that call. By answering His call, we enter and are united with His love and light. 

With love comes the knowing and being known. Love covers a multitude of sins and without it we are nothing. The children of God will be known by their love, not what we do, but what we are. 

No comments: