Tuesday, April 11, 2017

For This Purpose - John 18:37-38

John 18:37-38 ESV 


Then Pilate said to him, “So you are a king?” Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world—to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice.” Pilate said to him, “What is truth?”

After he had said this, he went back outside to the Jews and told them, “I find no guilt in him.


The light shines in the world to bear witness to the truth. 


To ask "What is truth?" only means one has not encountered Jesus, for He is the way, truth, and life of God. 


Truth may be understood in part. Pilate then says to the crowd, "I find no guilt in him." That was true, but he failed to see the truth. 


The truth is out there. The difficulty  lies in finding and understanding it. That is where the Holy Spirit comes in. Like the Son, He only speaks what He hears from the Father, because like the Son, He is of the Father. The Spirit enables us to listen and hear the word of truth, who is the Son, who is the Father. 

No comments: