Friday, August 1, 2014

Destroyed By Fire - 2 Peter 3:10

2 Peter 3:10 NIV 
But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare.

The earth, man, is undergoing a refining process. All that is dross will melt away by the heat of truth which has been poured out by the word of Christ. It is the fire of The Lord. 

The Greek word here for elements includes the idea of a previous way of thinking. The first understanding gives way to another. We are being transformed into new creatures, leaving behind the old man and his muddled thinking. 

When I was a child I thought like a child. Then I began to put my childish things away. I came to grow into the mind of Jesus when I entered the body of Christ. 

Luke 12:49
 “I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled!

Acts 2:3-4
They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.

1 Corinthians 3:13-15
their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.

No comments: