Sunday, January 6, 2013

A Form Was Before My Eyes - Job 4:12-19

Job 4:12-19 ESV
“Now a word was brought to me stealthily;
my ear received the whisper of it.
Amid thoughts from visions of the night,
when deep sleep falls on men,
dread came upon me, and trembling,
which made all my bones shake.
A spirit glided past my face;
the hair of my flesh stood up.
It stood still,
but I could not discern its appearance.
A form was before my eyes;
there was silence, then I heard a voice:
‘Can mortal man be in the right before God?
Can a man be pure before his Maker?
Even in his servants he puts no trust,
and his angels he charges with error;
how much more those who dwell in houses of clay,
whose foundation is in the dust,
who are crushed like the moth.

Satan whispers in Job's ear words that draw and play on the doubts and fears deep in Job's soul. He spins words of deception as he did in the Garden. It is easy sink in the water of faith, just as Peter did while walking to Jesus on the sea.

We all ask the questions of the why and how of our existence. We sometimes encounter experiences and circumstance which rattle belief and faith. We usually find we learn a little more about ourselves and perhaps we might understand God in a different and deeper way. The likelihood of this taking place increases as we grow older and come closer to the shedding of this body.

No comments: