Friday, January 25, 2013

A Divine Spirit -Genesis 41:38-40

Genesis 41:38-40 NASB
Then Pharaoh said to his servants, “Can we find a man like this, in whom is a divine spirit?” So Pharaoh said to Joseph, “Since God has informed you of all this, there is no one so discerning and wise as you are. You shall be over my house, and according to your command all my people shall do homage; only in the throne I will be greater than you.”

Most other translations have the Spirit of God as the the source of divine revelation. The Hebrew word for god is plural. I suspect Pharaoh is not acknowledging the supremacy o the God of Joseph, but the divine as he knew it.

Genesis 41:37-40 NIV
The plan seemed good to Pharaoh and to all his officials. So Pharaoh asked them, “Can we find anyone like this man, one in whom is the spirit of God?”
Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, “Since God has made all this known to you, there is no one so discerning and wise as you. You shall be in charge of my palace, and all my people are to submit to your orders. Only with respect to the throne will I be greater than you.”

Genesis 41:37-40 ESV
This proposal pleased Pharaoh and all his servants. And Pharaoh said to his servants, “Can we find a man like this, in whom is the Spirit of God?” Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, “Since God has shown you all this, there is none so discerning and wise as you are. You shall be over my house, and all my people shall order themselves as you command. Only as regards the throne will I be greater than you.”

Genesis 41:37-40 AMP
And the plan seemed good in the eyes of Pharaoh and in the eyes of all his servants.
And Pharaoh said to his servants, Can we find this man’s equal, a man in whom is the spirit of God?
And Pharaoh said to Joseph, Forasmuch as [your] God has shown you all this, there is nobody as intelligent and discreet and understanding and wise as you are.
You shall have charge over my house, and all my people shall be governed according to your word [with reverence, submission, and obedience]. Only in matters of the throne will I be greater than you are.

No comments: