Monday, November 16, 2015

Your Very Own Son - Genesis 15:1-4

Genesis 15:1-4 ESV 

After these things the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision: “Fear not, Abram, I am your shield; your reward shall be very great.”
But Abram said, “O Lord God, what will you give me, for I continue childless, and the heir of my house is Eliezer of Damascus?”
And Abram said, “Behold, you have given me no offspring, and a member of my household will be my heir.”
And behold, the word of the Lord came to him: “This man shall not be your heir; your very own son shall be your heir.”

Abram would have an heir and Abram believed the Lord, but doubt would creep in with Abram unable to see how and when this would be accomplished. This tells us that Abram was a man not much different from us. 

The Lord assures him that His word is true. 

We are in a similar situation as Abram. The Lord has promised a new man, a son of man in a sense, that will come from every believer. This new man is the heir to the promise of the Lord and this inheritance includes every blessing of heaven. 

We have become sons of God as we become like Jesus, the Son of Man. As sons of God we become a son of man as did Jesus. God enters our flesh and we participate in the incarnation of the Word. 

No comments: