Tuesday, April 28, 2015

A Holy Nation - Exodus 19:4-6

Exodus 19:4-6 ESV 
You yourselves have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles' wings and brought you to myself. Now therefore, if you will indeed obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my treasured possession among all peoples, for all the earth is mine; and you shall be to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation. These are the words that you shall speak to the people of Israel.”

1 Peter 2:9-10
But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. Once you were not a people, but now you are God's people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

Peter calls the Church a royal priesthood and a chosen people. Israel bears that title. A remnant of Israel will fulfill that promise made to Abraham long ago. They will be joined with the Church, even as we have been grafted into their tree of promise. From God's view there are no Jews or Gentiles. There is only a people chosen by God, united in one Spirit. There is no distinction between male and females. We are all sons of God. A holy nation. 

No comments: