Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I Will Keep You -Revelation 3:10-11

Revelation 3:10-11ESV
Because you have kept my word about patient endurance, I will keep you from the hour of trial that is coming on the whole world, to try those who dwell on the earth. 11 I am coming soon. Hold fast what you have, so that no one may seize your crown.

We see here another instance of Jesus fulfilling a promise as a result of the action of the believer, here translated using the "because, I also" structure. Their keeping of His word reaps the promise of Jesus in keeping His word. They will reap what they sow. He will reap the harvest of His word.
Verse ten speaks of the coming trial that will be visited on those who are earth dwellers, a frequent term for non-believers. Whether we are present or not is not clear, but our safekeeping is confirmed. "I will keep you".
He encourages them to hold fast to the word in their lives. In doing so, the crown of life will remain secure on their heads.



John 17:6-7 Revelation 1:9
9 I, John, your brother and partner in the tribulation and the kingdom and the patient endurance that are in Jesus, was on the island called Patmos on account of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus.

“I have manifested your name to the people whom you gave me out of the world. Yours they were, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. 7 Now they know that everything that you have given me is from you.

Keep - τηρέω [etym. complex] – 1. ‘maintain in a secure state’ – a. w. focus on personal interest or obligation keep Mk 7:9 v.l.; J 2:10 ; 17:11 f; 1 Cor 7:37 ; 2 Cor 11:9 ; Eph 4:3 ; 1 Ti 5:22 ; 2 Ti 4:7 ; 1 Pt 1:4 ; Jd 1 , 6 ; have on hand J 12:7 (CGEL)

Matthew 24:14
And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

No comments: