Thursday, June 7, 2012

Chasing The Wind

Ecclesiastes 1:12-17 NIV
12 I, the Teacher, was king over Israel in Jerusalem. 13 I applied my mind to study and to explore by wisdom all that is done under the heavens. What a heavy burden God has laid on mankind! 14 I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind.
15 What is crooked cannot be straightened;
what is lacking cannot be counted.
16 I said to myself, “Look, I have increased in wisdom more than anyone who has ruled over Jerusalem before me; I have experienced much of wisdom and knowledge.” 17 Then I applied myself to the understanding of wisdom, and also of madness and folly, but I learned that this, too, is a chasing after the wind.

Notice his attention and energy was focused on those things "under heaven" , or the world. If God is left out, all is vanity and in vain. Solomon had everything the world could offer, yet his life was empty without the presence of the Holy Spirit.

The Spirit is a gift from God. Without this gift, we are not able to know God. Like the wind which we can't see coming or going, it moves around us beyond our grasp and understanding.
Attempts to find the wisdom of God on our own is like chasing the wind, or a dog chasing after its own tail.

No comments: