Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Behold - John 1:29-34

John 1:29-34
Behold, the Lamb of God
 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! This is he of whom I said, ‘After me comes a man who ranks before me, because he was before me. ’ I myself did not know him, but for this purpose I came baptizing with water, that he might be revealed to Israel.” And John bore witness: “I saw the Spirit descend from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him. I myself did not know him, but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit. ’ And I have seen and have borne witness that this is the Son of God.”

The Old Testament prepares us for John's announcement and proclamation that Jesus is the One. 

"Behold the Lamb of God,
Who takes away the sin of the world!"

The law was given that we might know our sin. The sacrifice of the lamb would explain the spilling of blood necessary to atone for sin on our behalf.  It is there for all who would come.  Sin is singular in this passage and therefore inclusive of all sin.  For those who believe, all sin is washed away and we are transferred from the world and into the kingdom of God. 

Repentance leads to the revelation of God.  John was preparing Israel for the coming of The Lord.  It is the opening door for hearing the word and the beginning of wisdom. 

John could have known Jesus and not know He was the Anointed One.  The brothers and sisters of Jesus did not recognize Him as the Savior.  John waited for the sign. 

The Holy Spirit had been at work before Christ came, but this different.  John discerned that the Spirit had descended and remained on this man Jesus. This is a new thing God did and is doing.  The Spirit remains on and in the body of Christ at this very moment.  We are sealed in that Spirit as we await the time of our ascension. 

No comments: