Monday, July 10, 2017

Jesus Will Know - Matthew 7:21-23


Matthew 7:21-23 ESV


“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’


How do we know Christ in such a way that He knows us?


How is it that one may do great deeds in the name of Jesus, yet have Him say, "I never knew you"?


The difference is in the knowing. Knowing results from an ongoing seeking and time with Him. Both are inherent to knowing. They involve time and movement which are critical elements of life. Following Jesus, walking with him, is an action that requires effort on our part that reflects the life He has given us.


Doing things on our own may give the appearance of righteousness, but righteousness comes from God alone. Saying his name is not the same as taking his name. Saying His name may result from hearing, yet may not translate into receiving the word of God.


Receiving the word is taking it to heart. Taking it to heart will result in doing the word. If the doing comes from the heart, Jesus will know.


No comments: