Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Laodicea - Revelation 3:14-22

Revelation 3:14-22 ESV
To the Church in Laodicea
“And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write:‘The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God's creation.
“‘I know your works:you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see. Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. ’”

Amen means "so be it". It is an expression of agreement. We are told in 2Corinthians that Jesus is the yes to all the promises of God. That is why we understand to be in full agreement and one with God. In Isaiah 7:9 the NASB translates amen as "believe". He is the last and final word of God.

He is faithful and true, and like the Holy Spirit, there from the beginning, eternally beyond that. He is like God because He is God, of the Three in One.

The Laodiceans have grown lax and indifferent in their love. One might ask if they believed at all, or were part of the Church which is the body of Christ? We might think this is the case since these seven churches represent the universal church. You may agree that we have seen or see this element of error in our churches today. You may be able to admit that at times this could apply to you. I can. We should take care that we are and remain repentant, and strive to keep and display the fruit of the Holy Spirit. We are known and will be known by our fruit. There is no room in the kingdom for halfway believers. There is no room for political correctness as a replacement for being right with God. The truth of God will not be denied.

The Laodiceans seem to think everything is fine, even better than that. They see themselves as good people, but Christ sees things differently, and what He sees is not good. He counsels them to buy to buy gold from Him and obtain true riches. He is not proposing that they have to work for these riches, but they do the things to gain them. The grace of God is a gift. It only comes when one believes God and acts on that belief. This alone is the way to be clothed in the righteousness of God and to stand in His presence.

We will not only stand in His presence, but we will have fellowship and eat with Him. We will dip our bread in the wine of the new covenant.

Another church forgot their first love. This one has forgotten who they are. They are in danger of having their lamp stand removed and its light taken back. He who has little will it have it taken away and given to one who has much.

He promises the one who conquers will sit with Christ on His throne. We won't always be standing in His presence, but sitting with Him because we are one with Him and brother and sister, children of the Father.

Just as Christ has opened the door to heaven, we must open the door to our hearts when He knocks. He has chosen and so must we.

2 Corinthians 1:20-21
For all the promises of God find their Yes in him. That is why it is through him that we utter our Amen to God for his glory. And it is God who establishes us with you in Christ, and has anointed us,

Colossians 1:15-16
The Preeminence of Christ
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him.

Zephaniah 1:5-6
those who bow down on the roofs
to the host of the heavens,
those who bow down and swear to the Lord
and yet swear by Milcom,
those who have turned back from following the Lord,
who do not seek the Lord or inquire of him.”

1 Corinthians 16:21-23
I, Paul, write this greeting with my own hand. If anyone has no love for the Lord, let him be accursed. Our Lord, come! The grace of the Lord Jesus be with you.

2 Peter 1:9
For whoever lacks these qualities is so nearsighted that he is blind, having forgotten that he was cleansed from his former sins.

Genesis 3:10-11
And he said, “I heard the sound of you in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked, and I hid myself.” He said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten of the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?”

James 2:5
Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him?

2 Corinthians 5:3-4
if indeed by putting it on we may not be found naked. For while we are still in this tent, we groan, being burdened—not that we would be unclothed, but that we would be further clothed, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life.

Romans 12:11
Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord.

John 14:23-24
Jesus answered him, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words. And the word that you hear is not mine but the Father's who sent me.

2 Timothy 2:12-13
if we endure, we will also reign with him;
if we deny him, he also will deny us;
if we are faithless, he remains faithful—
for he cannot deny himself.

No comments: