Monday, June 15, 2009

Big Love

Luke 7:44-48 (ESV)
44 Then turning toward the woman he said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave me no water for my feet, but she has wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair.
45 You gave me no kiss, but from the time I came in she has not ceased to kiss my feet.
46 You did not anoint my head with oil, but she has anointed my feet with ointment.
47 Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven—for she loved much. But he who is forgiven little, loves little."
48 And he said to her, "Your sins are forgiven."

Jesus turns away from Simon toward the woman. He continues to speak to him with words, but His words are more for her. His eyes meet hers as He notes the difference in how He was treated. He acknowledges her in a manner to which she was unaccustomed. He sees her as a person worthy of His love and attention. He lifts her up above His host, for she has exalted Jesus instead of herself.

The woman loved much, Jesus tells us, and He would know. He is able to see into the heart. He knew that her love was real. She understood the depth of His grace which reached down for her. She fully embraced this grace which can only bring forth love, much love.

Love is a sign of God. It is the engine of forgiveness, for God so loved the world that He gave His only Son. That which is received continues to flow, for it is impossible for love to be contained. Just as God is without boundary, so is God’s love boundless. Her sins are forgiven, therefore she loves. This is Big Love.

No comments: