Friday, August 20, 2010

Servant Friends

John 15:14-17 NIV  14You are my friends if you do what I command. 15I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. 16You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. 17This is my command: Love each other.
We are friends because of the love of the Father expressed through the words of Jesus. He commands we love each other. The revelation of Jesus and the giving of  the Spirit moved the disciples from the status of servants of the household into members of the house itself. It is the house that love is building. There is plenty of room. There is more than enough love.
He chose these men to reveal Himself. He chooses you and me today. It is the same Spirit and love that unites us as friends. 
No longer servants, yet love compels servanthood to others. Jesus showed the way, washing the feet of the disciples and taking the form of a servant.

No comments: