Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My Yoke Is Easy

Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV)
28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Jesus understands our condition and offers the very thing which we long for and need.  In Him we find rest.  Apart from Him rest will not be found.  This is the rest which truly satisfies and provides the peace we seek. 

The yoke does not imply burden, but just the opposite.  When two oxen are yoked together, they proceed in the same direction and supply strength to a common goal.  What was too much for one can be accomplished with two. 

Jesus speaks of His coming along beside us and relieving our burden.  He offers to help us by teaching the way of rest for our very souls.  His way is one that is easy and light.  His strength, power, and grace become ours.  As we work together with Him whose heart is gentle and humble, we will find our heart becoming like His.  

It is our choice to do things the hard way or the easy way.  In this most important decision it is best to take the easy way out.

No comments: