Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Conviction

John 16:7-11 (NIV)
7 But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.
8 When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment:
9 in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me;
10 in regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer;
11 and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.

Jesus is speaking of the Holy Spirit that was to come after His death and ascension. It is through the witness of that Spirit that the world is confronted with the sin of man and the righteousness of God. They stand in stark contrast to one another. Jesus provides us with the pathway that leads from sin to righteousness. The Holy Spirit helps us to see sin and righteousness from God’s perspective and judgment. We can fall upon the grace of God and believe in Jesus through the work of the Holy Spirit in our hearts. We can then be assured that we are made righteous before God through what Jesus has done. But He leaves it up to us.

Jesus said He came to save the world, not to condemn it. Those who do not accept Jesus condemn themselves, just as the prince of this world now stands condemned. He will judge each of us based on our response to Him.

The conviction of the Holy Spirit can lead to life or death. Let us choose life with thanksgiving and praise to the One who makes it possible.

No comments: