Monday, May 1, 2017

A Tale Of Two Laws - Romans 7:21-25

Romans 7:21-25 ESV 


So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.


Paul says we live in one body with two inclinations if we follow Christ. An inner being of the mind and an outer being of the body. The non believer does not have this particular problem because the law of God does not enter into their frame of reference of living life. 


But the believer is thrown in a wilderness journey that takes place inside the person. It is a journey of faith which, if endured to the end, will allow us to conquer the world of self. We are constantly surrounded by the knowledge of good and evil and must daily choose between the two. It is essentially the choice between God and self because what defiles a person comes from within. 


We will eventually leave this body behind after it has served its purpose as the ground to receive the seed of life. The viability and fruitfulness of the seed will depend on our "soil", of how we respond to what we have received. Jesus responded to temptation during His time in the wilderness with the word of God. 

No comments: