Thursday, November 13, 2014

Do You Love? - John 21:15-17

John 21:15-17 
"Jesus and Peter
When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.” He said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep."

As many know, a different Greek word for "love" is used when Jesus asks Peter a third time about his love for Him. The usual interpretation has Jesus using Peter's response with a lessor quality of love of "phileō", or brotherly love, than the more a more divine love implied by "agapaō".  Jesus seems to be lowering His expectation of love to meet Peter's ability. 

Another interpretation is possible. The love in the third question is a more intimate and brotherly love than the term used in the first two inquires. This question may allude to the fact we become brothers of Christ as we enter the house of God when we believe on the Son. We now call upon God as our Father. The love spoken of with this word "phileō" is of a personal nature which reflects the personal nature afforded by this new covenantal relationship with the Father. We have entered into the family of Christ. We have a new ability and possibility of love. 

We love God by obeying Him and loving our brother. We are brothers in Christ, united by the one and Holy Spirit. We do not worship a distant God from afar, but bask in the warmth of a son in his father's love. 

No comments: