Monday, July 7, 2008

Abiding Joy

John 15:6-11 (NASB)
6 "If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned.
7 "If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
8 "My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples.
9 "Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love.
10 "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.
11 "These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.

Abiding is a choice. The Father chooses to reach out for us, not wanting even one to be lost. If we choose to extend our hand in return, taking hold of His, we receive His love. His words and commandments will show us the way. The way is not one of a restricted life, but one which frees us of a restricted life without Him.

Jesus tells us that a result of abiding in Him will be joy. His joy is added to ours. His life is added to ours. This is the joy that He saw before Him on His way to the cross. He saw you and I being saved by His sacrifice. He saw you and I joining Him and the Father forever. He takes joy in our joy. The fullness of the Father and Son is ours, an ongoing, abiding joy.

No comments: