Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I Am Well Pleased

Mark 1:9-11 (NIV)
9 At that time Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan.
10 As Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove.
11 And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased."

Even Jesus came to be baptized by John. He says elsewhere that this is to be done to fulfill scripture. This marks the beginning of the ministry of Jesus. His journey in the new kingdom begins with this act. Not only does He open the door, His actions show us the way to follow. Heaven is torn open just as the temple veil is torn upon His death. In both instances we are shown the access to God the Father. Repentance and belief in the Son enable us to come before God.

Jesus comes out of the water after John’s baptism and the Holy Spirit descends on Him. Because of what He has done, the Holy Spirit descends on you and me when we turn to God and believe. We are able to connect with and experience God in a new way. In the same way that Jesus came out of the water of His baptism, He comes up out of the water of man, His incarnation, and returns to the Father in a new way. He is the slain sacrifice on which the judgment of our sins has been satisfied, but rises to become our Lord, our King, and Savior.

God speaks to Him. I love You and My delight is in You.

God speaks those same words to you and me when we enter in the new way, the way of Christ. I love you and I am well pleased.

No comments: